Onyfix is a nonsurgical treatment option for involuted and ingrown toenails. It is an innovative nail correction system that provides painless treatment of almost all forms of involuted and ingrown toenails.
The system is versatile, allowing your foot care expert to adapt the system individually and affix it to your nail. Onyfix uses a hardened composite to help ingrown or involuted toenails grow back to their natural shape through normal growth without any tension or pain.
An involuted toenail has a very pronounced curve, such that the edge of the nail cuts sharply into the skin on the side of your toe. The continuous pressure from the nail biting into the skin can be painful and cause the skin around the nail to get hard and form calluses or corns if the pressure continues. Redness may be present around the nail as well.
Ingrown toenails curve and grow into the nail borders (the sides of the nail). They often irritate the skin, creating pain, redness, swelling, and warmth in the toes.
Any break in the skin due to ingrown toenails may become a hotbed for bacteria and result in an infection. Infection is often marked by drainage and a foul odor.
The most common cause of ingrown toenails is cutting your nails too short, which encourages the skin next to the nail to fold over the nail.
Preventing Ingrown Toenails
Follow these tips to prevent ingrown toenails:
- Trimming Nails Properly – To avoid ingrown toenails, cut your toenails in a straight line and file down the edges on the side. When you finish, you should still be able to get your fingernail under the sides and end of the nail.
- Wearing Well-Fitted Shoes - Don’t wear shoes that are short or tight in the toe area. You should also avoid shoes that are too loose because they too cause pressure on the toes, especially when running or walking briskly.
What to Expect with the Onyfix Nail Correction System
During treatment, patients can expect the following:
- The nail is prepared for application.
- The Onyfix composite is spread over the nail and shaped correctly.
- After the composite has hardened, the nail correction system fixes the nail in its proximal shape without any tension.
- The nail correction system ensures the shape is retained as the nail grows naturally.
- When treatment is complete, Dr. Tea removes the Onyfix nail correction system.
Benefits of Onyfix Treatment
Onyfix treatment offers several benefits to patients including:
- Quick relief from painful toenails
- Pain-free treatment process
- Corrects the nail through physiological nail growth
- Effective without exerting force on the nail
- Individually adaptable system
- Particularly suitable for diabetics
- No restrictions on patient activities (including swimming or using saunas)
- Nail polish can still be used
Ideal Candidate for Onyfix Treatment
Onyfix is a nonsurgical treatment option that is ideal for patients who have involuted or ingrown toenails. The treatment is safe for patients who are diabetics, pregnant, or who are breastfeeding. The treatment is also recommended for patients with needle phobias or who cannot have surgery due to advanced age or vascular disease.
Onyfix Nail Correction Treatment at Pacific Point Podiatry
If you are interested in the Onyfix Nail Correction treatment, call Pacific Point Podiatry at (831) 288-3400 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Tea. You may also request an appointment online.